Mercedes-Benz » Unimog 401 / 402 / U25
The idea to make a universal machine that can replace a light truck and tractor, in 1947, was implemented by little-known designer Albert Frederick. The first prototypes were produced by Erhard & Sohne and Gebruder Boehringer of Göppingen companies. On the Gebruder Boehringer about 600 trucks have been produced until 1950. These trucks received 25 hp diesel engine Mercedes-Benz, 6-speed gearbox and the long name Universalmotorgerate - "Universal Vehicle", or "Unimog". Executives of Daimler-Benz immediately drew attention to this truck and in 1950 bought the rights to manufacture "Unimog". Since 1951, its production was organized on a factory in Gaggenau, transformed to the Unimog GmbH. And in 1953 the trucks began to equip with the Mercedes-Benz logo. Logo with a bull's head was removed from the hood only in 1956. The designer of the next modifications became an engineer Ressper. The first serial 1-ton truck received the designation Unimog-401 or U25. It had a wheelbase of 1720 mm and was equipped with a 4-cylinder diesel engine (1767 cm3, 25 hp), spring suspension on both axles, switchable front wheel drive and a mechanical differential lock. Wooden cabin with a tent and a short hood has a simple angular shape. On a highway, it could reach 60 km/h, and the minimum speed was 0.3-0.6 km/h. There was also a version Unimog 402 with a longer wheelbase (2120 mm).