Mack » M123
In 50s, a future evolution of the military NR series was a 10-ton standardized range of trucks and tractors 6x6. This truck is known as the M123, according to an index of the first prototype, which was built in 1953. It was the tractor for transportation of main battle tanks on the M15A2 semi-trailer with a load capacity 45-50 tons. In 1955, producing of the flatbed truck-prime mover M125 for towing 155 and 203 mm heavy artillery was began. It had a 20-ton winch. This range also included the M122 dump truck, chassis M121 and M124 with a different wheelbase carrying up to 16 tones. Trucks were equipped with the Le Roi overhead valve petrol engine V8 (13,8 l, 286 hp), a 5-speed gearbox, pneumatic brakes, 24-volt electric, 2-door cab with a soft-top, metal flatbed, crane and 24-inch wheels. The trucks had a ground clearance 523 mm and could go over a 76 cm depth ford (with additional training - about 2 m). Maximum speed was 70 km/h. In 60s, the trucks were replaced with the updated models – the flatbed truck M125A1 and tractors M123C and M123D with one or two winches and a lowered position of a coupling. In 1968, this production was transferred to the Consolidated Diesel Electric Company from Connecticut, better known as the ConDiesel or CONDEC. The company produced the M123A1C tractor with a 300-horsepower diesel engine Cummins V8, and then - the M123E2 version, which were designed for towing the semitrailer M747 with a load capacity of 60 tons. Organizational changes in 60s in the field of standardized army trucks led to a concentration of production, first at the company Kaiser Jeep, but since 1971 at the new military-industrial company AM General.