Autocar » U-2044 / 4044 / 4144 / 5044
The main merit of Autocar in a military field was a mass production of an extensive range of multipurpose cabover all-wheel drive chassis with a capacity of 2.5-6.0 tons, which became major U.S. military all-wheel drive vehicles for general use. In 1940-41, the company started production of 5 unified base models equipped with different 6-cylinder petrol engines, own 4- or 5-speed manual transmissions and axles, two-stage transfer cases Timken, air brakes Westinghouse, twin rear wheels and all-metal open or closed cabins with machine-gun turret. The range was led by a 2.5-ton model U2044 with 5.2-liter Hercules JXD engine with an output of 84 hp, used in the U.S. Air Force primarily as a tanker.
A 4-ton class trucks were chassis U4044/U4144 and tractors U4044T/U4144T differed only by an engine: Hercules or an own engine (5.9 liters, 100 hp). They can reach 60 mph (96 kph). In parallel, a small batch of 5-ton trucks U5044 and lights tractors U5044T was made. Their production was not more than a few hundred copies.