Chevrolet » C8 / C15 / C30 / C60 No.11 and 12 cab
The Canadian Military Pattern (CMP) truck was a class of military truck made in large numbers in Canada during World War II to British Army specifications for use in the armies of the British Commonwealth allies. CMP trucks were also sent to the Soviet Union, as part of Canada's lend-lease program to the Allies. During the War CMP trucks saw service around the world in the North African Campaign, the Allied invasion of Sicily, the Italian Campaign, the Russian Front, the Burma Campaign, the Battle of the Philippines (1941-42), the liberation of Northwest Europe, and the Western Allied invasion of Germany. CMP trucks also saw service in post-war conflicts in Indonesia, French Indochina, and the Portuguese colonies in Africa.
Early in 1937, the Ford Motor Company of Canada and General Motors of Canada Ltd were each invited by the Canadian Department of National Defence to produce a Canadianized prototype of a 15-hundredweight light infantry truck that had then been recently adopted by the British War Office. By 1938 Canadian military authorities had shifted their interest to heavier 4x4 and 6x4 designs. By 1939, plans had been prepared for the mass production in Canada of a range of military vehicles based on fairly strict British specifications. These trucks were originally designated "Department of National Defence (DND) Pattern"; however, when production volumes increased and it became clear that the Canadian-built vehicles were to serve widely in the forces of other countries, the class of trucks was redesignated "Canadian Military Pattern (CMP)". Most CMP trucks were manufactured by the Chevrolet division of General Motors of Canada Ltd and by the Ford Motor Company of Canada. A smaller number of CMP trucks were assembled from Canadian-made chassis and parts in Britain, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa (2600) , India (9500) and Egypt. Just over 400,000 CMP trucks were manufactured in Canada, accounting for roughly half of the 815,729 military vehicles made in Canada during World War II .
The Chevrolet-built CMP trucks had a 215 cu in (3.5 L), 85 bhp (63.4 kW) straight-6 overhead-valve engine. An American-made 270 cu in (4.4 L) GMC straight-6 engine powered the C60X 3-ton truck. The Ford and Chevrolet trucks shared a standard cab design, which evolved over the years of production. The first (designed at Ford by Sid Swallow), second and third cab designs were called No. 11, 12 and 13, respectively. The first two types were similar, main difference being two-part radiator grille in No.12 cab (its upper part was opened with a bonnet, which was known as the "Alligator cab"). The final No. 13 cab had another design. All of the CMP cab designs had a short, "cab forward" configuration that gave CMP trucks their distinctive pug-nosed profile. This design was required to meet the original British specifications for a compact truck design that would be more efficient to transport by ship.
The production of CMP truck bodies in Canada was subcontracted out to smaller companies in Ontario and Manitoba, organized into the wartime Steel Body Manufacturers Association by the Department of Munitions and Supply. The wide variety of truck body designs included general service (GS), water tanker, fuel tanker, vehicle recovery (tow truck), dental clinic, mobile laundry, wireless house, machinery (machine shop), folding boat transport, and antitank gun portee. The military range included the next models:
- Chevrolet C8 (4x2, 101" wheelbase, 8 cwt);
- Chevrolet C8A Heavy Utility Truck (4x4, 101" wheelbase, 8 cwt);
- Chevrolet C15 (4x2, 101" wheelbase, 15 cwt);
- Chevrolet C15A (4x4, 101" wheelbase, 15 cwt);
- Chevrolet C15TA Armoured Truck (4x4, 101" wheelbase, 15 cwt);
- Chevrolet C30 (4x4, 134" wheelbase, 30 cwt);
- Chevrolet C60S (4x4, 134" wheelbase, 3 ton);
- Chevrolet C60L (4x4, 158" wheelbase, 3 ton);
- Chevrolet C60X (6x6, 160"+52" wheelbase, 3 ton, 270 cu. in. GMC straight-6 engine);
- Chevrolet CGT Field Artillery tractor (F.A.T.) (4x4, 101" wheelbase).