The plant in Tampere was founded in 1942 as a manufacturer of buses and special bodies. The Ajokki name is translated as "vehicle". The factory was established in wartime, with all its attendant problems - shortage of materials and labor. Initially, production was carried out in rented areas. But in March-April 1943, production began in its own building. That time the company produced and repair trucks, chassis, buses and taxis. In wartime, almost all production went to army. In the late '40s production has increased significantly. In 1951, the company included 128 workers.
In 1952, a terrible fire destroyed almost all the production facilities of the company, but the plant quickly recovered and returned to its usual activities. In 1955, Ajokki introduced its first wooden body bus with steel reinforcement, and in 1957 the plant began producing all-steel bodies. In 1989, Ajokki Oy, together with the Delta Plan Oy and Wiima Oy, became the part of the Carrus Oy, which later, in 2004, joined to the group Volvo,