American car and Foundry (ACF), a company-pioneer in the transport production, came into the world in 1899 as a result of 13 railway companies’ merger. 5 years later the first car, made by the company ACF, went out of the plant gates in Berwick. ACF began to extend its business due to the acquirement of Carter Carburetor Corporation of St. In 1925 Fageol Motos Co., a bus manufacturer, and Hall-Scott Motor Car Company, a bus engines manufacturer, were purchased. In 1926 ACF bought J. G. Brill Co., one of the largest tram manufacturers since 1890.
The production of TM Fageol buses was moved from Ohio to Detroit in 1926, and the brothers Fageol became the vice-presidents of ACF. In 1927 they left the company, not having found the leaders’ support of their new project on a twin-engined bus. But ACF went on producing buses under the brand Fageol till 1929, though since 1927 it had begun to promote its own more extended line of bus chassis. About 25 trucks with the engine Hall-Scott were made in 1931-1932.
The end of 1932 and the beginning of 1933 was not a good time for the company. The business was declining. The bus production was moved from Detroit to Philadelphia. After the new model introduction in 1937 the business matters developed successfully. But in 1942 the company had to scale back the bus production and change over to military production. Artillery mounts, ammunition, field kitchen trucks and trailers, special suits and even wooden pegs for tents were produced at the plant during the wartime. After the war the bus production resumed: new models with the hydraulic transmission system Spicer came into being. These buses were the first ones, which bore the trade mark ACF-Brill. In 1954 the interests of the company became so various that it changed the name for ACF Industries Inc. All told, 5738 ACF-Brill buses were built during the period between 1945 and 1953. Then the company concentrated its activity on railroad goods wagons, which it has been doing till now.