General Motors do Brazil is the largest subsidiary of the Corporation in South America and second largest operation outside the United States. The company was founded in 1925 in rented houses in the historic district of Ipiranga in Sao Paulo. In the beginning, the activities were in the assembly of vehicles imported from the United States. After five years, GMB officially opened in 1930, its first plant in São Caetano do Sul – São Paulo. During World War II, except for vehicles produced for the Brazilian armed forces, imports of vehicle components were virtually stopped. Following World War II, a major expansion program was begun, which included a new assembly plant with a capacity of 15 units per hour, a new finished car and parts warehouse and office building.
In 1948, GM do Brasil produced its first bus. In 1956, construction of a foundry and engine plant began in São José dos Campos. The first Chevrolet truck produced under the vehicle-manufacturing program came off the production line in June 1957. In December, 1958, the engine plant in São José dos Campos, although not completely finished, delivered the first Chevrolet engine machined in Brazil. Production of trucks was closed in 90s.