On July 13, 1956, under the guidance of the China's Central Committee and with assistance from the former Soviet Union, construction of China's first automotive production base was completed. The company's first medium duty truck became the model CA10. Chairman Mao Zedong autographed the foundation stone and bestowed the name “Jiefang”, meaning liberation, on the model CA10 medium truck to symbolize China's new independent ability to create the tools for a modern national transportation system.
In 1964 was the official introduction of the FAW Group logo. Februraty 26th 1983 the one millionth Jiefang brand commercial truck rolled off the production line. Trucks had been producing under this brand until 1992 year, when FAW Group's original name, First Automobile Works, was formally changed to China First Automobile Group Corporation. Bus production was established in 2002.